Welcome to the Year 2 web page.
Welcome back! We hope that you enjoyed the summer holiday. The Year 2 team cannot wait to get to know the children and work on some exciting topics. You should find most of the information you need below or on other pages on the website.
Staff who work in Year 2 are:
- Mrs Lissaman & Mrs Elliott (L/E) - Supported by Mrs Walkden
- Mrs Dickens (KD) - Supported by Mrs Lidder
- Mr Mayhew (OM) - Supported by Mrs Clarke
You can see the work we will be covering this year on the long term plan and the Year 2 "Medium Term Plans" will be loaded onto the website each term. They can be viewed in the "Learning" Section of our website, or by clicking here.
A big part of the Year 2 Curriculum is Grammar. Click here to look at a glossary of some of the terms that the children will be learning about this year.
How to help your child at home
This year we are focusing on children's spoken language - please spend time talking to your child about their day, what they enjoyed/ found challenging, who they worked with or what they felt they did well.
- Reading - books, comics, magazines or recipes - it is important to have plenty of practise
- Times tables - 2's, 5's, 10's and 3's -the children should be able to chant / sing them in order and mixed up.
- Learning about time by talking about key events in your day and learning about the value of coins by playing shops!
For latest news or photographs you can follow us on Twitter @CHISthurmaston
We will send out letters, flyers and additional information when needed - make sure we have an up to date email address as we are a paperless school.
Our PE sessions are on Wednesday and Friday - please ensure all jewellery is removed and that all PE kits as well as school clothes are labelled with your child's name. Children must have plimsolls and trainers in school as we will be going outside for some of the sessions. In the first term we will be working with the sports coach to develop movement and learn some new games
We have a weekly spelling quiz on Thursdays in which we test children on the spellings that they have been learning during the week. They will get their new spellings sent out on Friday and we expect that the children practice their spellings in their spelling books. We think that the best way for the children to learn their spellings is to write sentences with those words in. Check the spelling book weekly for new ways to practise the words.
The best way for you to help your child at home is to read with them. Reading with them a minimum of 3 times a week will have a huge impact on their development. The children will be given a reading book from school and it is their responsibility to change it regularly. Re-reading familiar texts to increase fluency is vital to develop your child's reading speed and confidence. It is also important to ask questions about the books they read as this will develop their comprehension skills.
Children do not always have to read their school reading books at home. Here is our list of recommended books to read in Year Two (Some of these books will be to share with an adult):
- The Twits by Roald Dahl
- Mr Gum by Andy Stanton
- The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy
- Mr Majeika by Humphrey Carpenter
- The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dave Pilkey
- Nim’s Island by Wendy Orr
- Supertato by Sue Hendra
- Mr Wolf's Pancakes by Jill Fernley
- The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark by Jill Tomlinson
We would also highly recommend that children have access to traditional tales as this will develop their language and understanding of story structures.